Origins of Naan Bread
Originally, naan is a generic term for various flatbreads from different parts of the world. The originally Persian word naan 'bread' is already attested in Middle-Persian as 'bread, food'. The form itself is either of Iranian or even Indo-Iranian origin;
Naan today is known as a leavened flat bread originating from northern India, which is traditionally baked by slapping the bread dough onto the side of a hot dome shaped clay oven referred to as a tandoor. The dough's weight would normally cause it to fall into a teardrop shape, which is the recognizable characteristic of naan bread, however, with changes in baking processes there are now a variety of shapes from round to oval that are readily produced.
Best Quick Naan Bread Recipe
4 cups White Flour
1/2 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Milk
1 tbsp Sugar
2 tbsp Greek or Natural Yoghurt
4 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Nigella seeds (Kalunji)
1. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl and make a well in the middle.
2. Mix the sugar, milk, eggs, yoghurt and oil in a separate bowl.
3. Pour this mixture into the center of the flour and knead to form soft dough. (adding water if necessary )
4. Add the remaining oil, knead again, then cover with damp cloth and allow the dough to stand for 15 minutes.
5. Knead the dough again and cover and leave for 2-3 hours.
6. About half an before the naan are required, turn on the oven to maximum heat.
7. Divide the dough into 8 balls and allow to rest for 3-4 minutes.
8. Sprinkle a baking sheet with nigella seeds and put it in the oven to heat while the dough is resting.
9. Shape each ball of dough with the palms to make an oval shape.
10. Bake the indian bread naan until puffed up and golden brown. Serve hot.
Far more than just another Indian curry house, Sitar Indian Restaurants offer the very best Indian food using the finest local produce and a myriad of imported spices to create the quality and flavours unique to Sitar. Discover more about our authentic Indian cuisine , find your nearest Sitar Indian Restaurant or Indian takeaway,Sitar Express, or check out our current Sitar Special Offers . Make an online enquiry or call your nearest Sitar now.